Sunday, July 15, 2012

ACF National Convention + Cake + Nightlife

I've been terribly neglectful, I realize.  But it wasn't as if I had nothing to write about.  There have been a few developments.  I think I've just been subconsciously avoiding the topic.

To be honest, I felt for a while like I was losing my identity as a chef.  I graduated, I moved back home, and I missed any chances of finding employment in my field.  I got a job in an office, and remembered how draining office work can be.  After realizing how dry the job pool is here and now, I gave up looking for the time being.  Despite my education I started to see myself more as a receptionist than a pastry chef.  That wasn't where I wanted to be.

This was the main reason why, when I saw that the ACF National Convention was being held in Orlando this year, I jumped at the opportunity to go.  It's been expensive staying here for the weekend, but I think it's worth it.  I got the validation I'd somehow lost and needed back.  I've been surrounded by people who have been in my situation and encouraged me to keep swimming.  I saw my former instructors, who remembered me fondly.  This is exactly what I needed.

So excuse me for a moment while I make my way to the top floor of this hotel.  I need to get to the rooftop and shout:  "I am a chef!"

Well, that was cheesy.  But you get the idea.

So when I get back home tonight, I'm going to start looking for restaurant jobs again.  I can't start too soon.  I'm going to practice my skills more.  I'm going to take on more cake orders, promote myself and be proud of what I've accomplished.

Speaking of orders, I have a small side business that I've been running for some time, since I moved back home.  I specialize in birthday cakes and, apparently, cookie giveaways.  Check out the website and follow the Facebook page:  http://17thstreetcakes.com/  I've got a couple of orders for the near future, and always looking for more.

And as I've said, I have plenty more to write about.  Both for here and for Pussy Whipped Magazine.  The magazine's been dead for some time.  I'm determined to put some life back into it with what I have coming up.  So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment