Saturday, January 19, 2013

Browned Butter Pumpkin Soup


My first recipe contribution to this blog is ridiculously simple and also fantastic.  Just as promised, this post contains pumpkin and is out of season.

I have a love for all things pumpkin, and it is well known in my family.  They mocked my look of delight late last year when pumpkin started hitting the shelves, and thought it funny when they hid a can of pumpkin in my Christmas stocking.  I live in south Florida, where access to fresh pumpkin is limited, so often the canned stuff is easier and all I have to come by.  Surprisingly enough, I found myself with a surplus by the time Thanksgiving and Christmas were through.

It was also around this time that I came down with a horrible toothache, and was only willing to eat soft foods.  (The tooth has since been pulled.) So while my family enjoyed sandwiches on crusty bread for dinner, I decided to make use of one of my pumpkin cans.


 Browned Butter Pumpkin Soup
Serves 2-4 

2 T butter
1 clove garlic, minced
½ medium yellow onion, small diced
1 16 oz can pumpkin puree
1 16 oz can chicken stock
Salt and pepper

Melt butter in the bottom of a medium saucepan.  Add onions and garlic, keep heat on high and stir frequently.  After a few minutes the butter will turn brown, and the garlic and onions will be well caramelized.

Add the pumpkin puree and stock, reduce heat to medium high until the mix is hot.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

You can strain the soup here, or run it through a blender to smooth out the chunks of onion and garlic.  I chose not to and the soup was still tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment